A place to collect up some of the wonderful things God says! A fitting quote here, from Subby Szterszky (Focus on the Family, New Year’s Resolution Reality Check):
“…God didn’t give us His Word so we could impress Him with our efforts to read it, or even primarily to tell us how to be better spouses, parents and citizens. The overarching purpose of the Scriptures is to reveal God in all His beauty and glory, … so that we might… become more like Him and enjoy Him forever.”
This page has been mostly for special scriptures. (But there are SO many!) God also speaks through his servants… for example, the Perspectives course that we took in the Fall of 2012… here are a few of my favourite quotes/messages from Perspectives:
- “Missions is not the ultimate purpose of the church. Worship is. Missions exists because worship doesn’t.” (John Piper)
- “By wooing people into true worship, God is able to fully bestow His love upon them.”
- “The rationale for mission is the colossal worthiness of God.” Worship fulfills God’s love.
Now for the special verses, that often get put at the top of my Home page. Most of them will be from The Message, but you can hover your mouse over the reference to see the New Living version.
- “If people can’t see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; but when they attend to what he reveals, they are most blessed.” (Proverbs 29:18) Jan. 8/13
- Love this, even if it doesn’t get to be on the Home page: “Quit your worship charades. I can’t stand your trivial religious games: Monthly conferences, weekly Sabbaths, special meetings–meetings, meetings, meetings–I can’t stand one more! Meetings for this, meetings for that. I hate them! You’ve worn me out! I’m sick of your religion, religion, religion, while you go right on sinning. When you put on your next prayer-performance, I’ll be looking the other way….” God goes on to explain that instead, we should be cleaning up our lives, working for justice, for the down-and-out, “Stand up for the homeless”, the defenseless. (Isaiah 1:13-17) Emphasis mine… there was a time when I felt this in our church–all the meetings! (edited in Apr. 2, 2013)
- from April 29, 2011: James 4:10-12
- “Finally, brothers, whatever is TRUE, whatever is NOBLE, whatever is RIGHT, whatever is PURE, whatever is LOVELY, whatever is ADMIRABLE–if anything is EXCELLENT or PRAISEWORTHY–think about such things. ” (Philippians 4:8)–May 3/13
- “We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but God’s purpose prevails.” (Prov. 19:21)–Sept. 16/13
- “…What we’ve learned is this: God does not respond to what we do; we respond to what God does. We’ve finally figured it out. Our lives get in step with God and all others by letting him set the pace, not by proudly or anxiously trying to run the parade.” (Romans 3:27-28)–Nov. 25/13.
- “Oh! May the God of green hope fill you up with joy, fill you up with peace, so that your believing lives, filled with the life-giving energy of the Holy Spirit, will brim over with hope!” (Romans 15:13): This has been the “verse of the hour” this Christmas–I must have seen it a dozen times on Facebook, and other places as well! (December 2013)
- “Entrust your efforts to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.” (Prov. 16:3) Just one of the verses that illustrate my “Word for 2014”.
- “With all this going for us [resurrection promise], my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don’t hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort.” (1 Cor. 15:58)–Jan. 23, 2014, re getting involved with new church?