Oh my. This guy always causes so much scribbling. All over the bulletin. Now to see if we can decipher these notes, and capture all the “meat” that he so well delivers!
- People do the social club scene (drinking, partying, etc.) because they are either looking for relationship or escaping from bad relationships
- Churches can also be a “social club scene”, though socially tame (no depth?)
- True fellowship has nothing to do with how we “feel”, (though it can cause feelings)
- True fellowship is founded in God, the Trinity, Who is a community of persons (the 2 things that set Christianity apart: 1) the death & resurrection of Christ 2) the Trinity); and we need to understand fellowship & God in that context…
- Father-heart, prodigal son
- Jesus refers to the Father loving Him
- Jesus’ obedience to the Father
- commitment, faithfulness
- discipleship–suffering (1 Pet. 4:1-11); “fellowship of his sufferings”, etc.
SPIRIT: “glue” (lose term)
- helps us understand
- calls & sends
-Seeking to “protect” our fellowship (especially physically), can destroy it (overprotection?)
-the pain of separation can actually bring you closer (Jesus knew separation from the Father on the cross)
-suffering & separation as part of missions…