This just goes to show you that with this VERY “limited” diet, you can still enjoy some delicious things. Canned pumpkin would work for those not on the diet. We’re not allowed any canned vegetables, or most canned fruits, because of some ingredient that develops AFTER they’ve been sitting in the cans.
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
2 C. cooked pumpkin or butternut squash (boiling in water works well, and doesn’t take too long–it’s the cutting up & peeling that’s a lot of work–we had help)
3/4 C. to 1 C. honey (I used closer to 1 cup, but found it quite sweet)
1/4 C. melted butter (or oil or coconut butter)–I used melted butter
4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
(I also found it just a little too spicy with all of these, but I’m not sure which ones were on the strong side–we love cinnamon, and cloves are strong-tasting…)
2 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1. Puree the squash in the food processor. (I just mashed it, then used a hand mixer to add the ingredients.)
2. Mix all ingredients EXCEPT egg whites.
3. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
4. Gently fold egg whites into pumpkin mix.
5. Bake in a pie dish at 350 for ~50 minutes.
In my gas oven (which bakes faster), I did 325 degrees for 50 min, then turned off the oven and left it in for a little while.