How do you know it’s still Summer? :P
- almost had to go sit outside to cool down, after my run this morning;
- temps in the 20’s all next week!
- air conditioner is still on–we tried turning it off but had to turn it back on (and it’s only going down to 14 C one night this week);
- there are still some Fall activities that haven’t really got started yet (like new Small Groups, etc.)
Did I say that October was going to be a long month? But it’s not even October until Tuesday!!
It’s funny, but we were talking about that sort of thing at Small Group last night (among many other things): how it can be encouraging to look forward to an “end date” to something, but it can also make the last weeks/months seem excruciatingly long.
My favourite subject in my “points” notes this morning…
- The rationale for missions is the colossal worthiness of God.
- Worship is the FUEL and GOAL of missions (because God is ultimate, not man). If worship is weak, missions is weak; (worship also energizes acts of mercy).
- We can’t feel deeply for the abstract, for people we don’t know, so we do it for God (his glory, his fame/his name).
- “God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him!” (Ps. 70:4, Ps. 37:4)
- “Keep increasing in the truth of God’s WORD, and the facts of God’s WORLD”, keeping your passion alive.
- We must FOCUS or we won’t OBEY; obedience gives power: the assurance that God is within and enabling. (1 John 3:22)
- To stir up hearts for mission, first stir up their passion for Christ; God must be the source, but passion CAN be chosen and cultivated. Nurture the longing to see the earth bathed in his praise.
One more little nugget (that kinda fits): “It’s easier to act your way into a feeling than to feel your way into an action.” (Rick Warren)