After last month’s post, I wrote this in my fearless journal:
So looking up the verse about God giving us “not a Spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”—apparently it’s KJV! And my favourite versions talk about “self-control” or “discipline”… I like both “sound mind” and “self-control”, but what does self-control have to do with fear? And why do I think these mysteries hold some hidden treasure that if I could uncover it, would be the answer to a long-fought problem! EDIT: Amplified clears it up: “…of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control].”
Yes, that’s the memory verse I chose for last month, though I mostly knew it already. This month will be another easy one, but so perfect for Lent: Romans 8:6 (“If we… live by [? from memory] our desires, we will die. But if we live by the Spirit, we will have life and peace.”)
OK, may as well just copy the rest of my fearless journal here–lots of great scripture again, most of it, in fact… except for a couple of songs, and a “coincidence”:
- 02.07: “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.” (Ps. 4:8) from prayermate
- 02.07: “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9) from Galcom stories
- 02.08: “Be not afraid, for the battle is not yours, but God’s.” (2 Chronicles 20:15), from Pinterest
- 02.09: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” (Philippians 4:6) from prayermate
- 02.14: “What the wicked fears will come on him; what the righteous desire will be granted. When the storm passes through, the wicked are swept away, but the righteous are an everlasting foundation.” (Proverbs 10:24-25) from prayermate proverbs
- 02.19: Whom Shall I Fear (the God of angel armies) song (from prayermate)
- 02.19: “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.” (Isaiah 43:2 NIV) from prayermate
- 02.23: It’s a bit scary that on my birthday, there are TWO things that tell me not to worry: Jesus’ words that God will help me deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes (prayermate), and the Piper devotional, saying that when we are persecuted for Jesus’ name, He will supply strength, will especially fill us with His spirit etc….LATER: beautiful song in church, that I claimed for my birthday song, “All my life You have been faithful…” (Goodness of God)
- 02.26: “Fly Away” book by Lynn A. about lady with fear of witnessing (so good!), she is like Moses saying ‘no’ to God <3 [This book also has the fear of cancer… and today (March 1st) at church we heard of Randy’s cancer.]
- 02.28: “Yea, though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil…” prayed for Ev.
Beyond that, the fear of that coronavirus is growing. And Sam is supposedly traveling to the States next week.