Just decided I need a page to put things that don’t quite apply to the day I find them, but “next time” I need them… Like, “next time”:
- When something terrible happens, Ps. 34 … and read this post, and this one.
- when facing adversity: “…using every adversity to stimulate you to creative survival, to concentrate your attention on the bare essentials, so you’ll live, really live, and not complacently just get by on good behavior.” (Luke 16:9); and the quote here; and this post.
- when facing discouragement/despondency (OR physical ailment): “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:26); Also Psalm 42:11; this post.
- when suffering from (or caring for) a debilitating disease/sickness: “The kind of hope that sustains you is a hope that makes endurance an ongoing way of life without the refusal to give up destroying you. Such a hope takes the form of prayer, in which God is made present in the lives of those suffering from a debilitating illness…” see Rob’s post.
- when anxious/worried: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” (Phil. 4:6-7); So every time you worry, talk to God about it, and thank him in everything. Set your mind on good things. Romans 8:5-6 says that what you set your mind on determines life or death. Col. 3:2 says what to set your mind on, and Jesus said to overcome anxiety by what you consider–Luke 12:24, 27. Above all, consider Jesus: Hebrews 12:3
- you need to know that God knows: Exodus 2:24-25
- you need to cry out for Help: Psalm 5:1-3, Psalm 12:1-2, Psalm 13:1-4
- you feel Oppressed: Psalm 10:14; Psalm 10:17-18, Psalm 11:1-3, Psalm 12:5, Psalm 14:5-7, Matthew 5:10-12, and this post.
- you feel Afraid: Psalm 7:9-10, Psalm 3:3, Psalm 16:1
- you need Direction or are experiencing Uncertainty: Psalm 5:8, this post; and this one.
- Failure: this post.
- Death: Max’s study here , this quote.
- Tempted: this post.
(This now has the Scripture Prayer page merged in.)