Just decided I need a page to put things that don’t quite apply to the day I find them, but “next time” I need them… Like, “next time”:
- When something terrible happens, Ps. 34 … and read this post, and this one.
- when facing adversity: “…using every adversity to stimulate you to creative survival, to concentrate your attention on the bare essentials, so you’ll live, really live, and not complacently just get by on good behavior.” (Luke 16:9); and the quote here; and this post.
- when facing discouragement/despondency (OR physical ailment): “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:26); Also Psalm 42:11; this post. And Lamentations 3:28-33 MSG.
- for depression: this John Piper article.
- when suffering from (or caring for) a debilitating disease/sickness: “The kind of hope that sustains you is a hope that makes endurance an ongoing way of life without the refusal to give up destroying you. Such a hope takes the form of prayer, in which God is made present in the lives of those suffering from a debilitating illness…” see Rob’s post.
- when anxious/worried: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” (Phil. 4:6-7); So every time you worry, talk to God about it, and thank him in everything. Set your mind on good things. Romans 8:5-6 says that what you set your mind on determines life or death. Col. 3:2 says what to set your mind on, and Jesus said to overcome anxiety by what you consider–Luke 12:24, 27. Above all, consider Jesus: Hebrews 12:3
- you need to know that God knows: Exodus 2:24-25
- you need to cry out for Help: Psalm 5:1-3, Psalm 12:1-2, Psalm 13:1-4
- you feel Oppressed: Psalm 10:14; Psalm 10:17-18, Psalm 11:1-3, Psalm 12:5, Psalm 14:5-7, Matthew 5:10-12, and this post.
- you feel Afraid: Psalm 7:9-10, Psalm 3:3, Psalm 16:1
- you need Direction or are experiencing Uncertainty: Psalm 5:8, this post; and this one.
- Failure (and afraid of): this post. As well as Baseball Lessons.
- Death: Max’s study here , this quote; this article;
- Tempted: this post.
- Discipline/Judgment: this post.
- When facing a “giant”/difficulty: Five Stones.
- When you have broken dreams.
- When you need Love.
The word that translates into “persevere” means to “remain under”: we have to remain under the trials God allows, in order for him to complete the work he is doing in us. One of the ways we often respond, is to desperately look for an escape. We need to just hold on/endure, looking forward to the eventual, glorious result. (“Jesus, who for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross…”)
The harder you hit a nail, the deeper it goes.
The harder you bounce a rubber ball, the higher it goes.
The harder you crush a flower, the more scent is released.
The more you crush tea leaves, the stronger the tea.